Monday, September 17, 2007

Not Your Average Adventure Movie

I saw an early screening of “Into The Wild” on Saturday at the Paramount Studios because I am fabulous! Hahaha, actually it's because I worked on the film for a couple of months as a Production Assistant. Alas, I never went on set because the set was always somewhere else.

Here is a little plot synopsis if you are unfamiliar with the story: “Into The Wild” (written and directed by Sean Penn) is a tragic true story of Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp), who after appeasing his parents, by graduating college at Emory University, he decided to leave his worldly possessions and family behind and venture out into the wild.

Anyway, I am proud to report that the movie was great. The whole cast was amazing. Emile Hirsch was riveting. Hal Holbrook made an Oscar worthy (supporting actor) performance that was hilarious and heartbreaking. Vince Vaughn was enjoyable. Catherine Keener was touching. Thure Lindhardt and Signe Egholm Olsen played a Danish couple who were side-splittingly comical. I suggest you go see it if you just love movies, if you like emotionally driven movies, if you like independent movies, if you like the book, or if you like true tragic stories. Don’t go see it if you are into happy endings, because this movie is not one of those.

If you know me, the real reason to see the movie is for my name in the credits! You can’t miss it, it’s like the longest line ever! Hahahaha!

There is a little controversy regarding McCandless. People either view him as stupid or dumb or unsympathetic (I mean, he did leave his whole family and didn't tell them where he was going), others as an inspiration, but I choose to view him as naive. A young man who did not properly research the area of Alaska he was camping at. And the fact he was too caught up in his own hatred toward his parents that he realized too late what love is. This is what I took from the film, someone not to be inspired by, but to learn from.

After the movie, Sean Penn (with Emile off to the side) thanked all the people who worked on the film as he lovingly said (I am paraphrasing a little here, can’t remember the exact quote) “Thanks for everyone who worked on this film, I will see you all over at the booze.” I decided not to partake in the boozing (being designated driver and all), but I did partake in the desserts.

Since this is a blog for videos here is the trailer:

1 comment:

TV Fan said...

This is what I took from the film, someone not to be inspired by, but to learn from.

I agree with what you are saying. But I tend to think those types of people "leather tramps" are morons to begin with. I think they are extremely selfish. His story is obviously sad and I don't deny that he is intelligent in his philosophy but I just don't get people like him.